Dental implants represent the most advanced tooth replacement technology available to patients who want to restore their smiles. As a result, this treatment option offers patients a number of benefits. Here is an overview of the top 5 advantages of dental implants.
- Dental implants are structurally complete: Older tooth replacement treatments like bridges and dentures did nothing to fill in for the missing tooth’s absent root structure, which plays an important role in your smile’s stability and function. Dental implants are made of titanium, which is biocompatible, so the surrounding bone can form a bond with the implant and make it a permanent part of the jaw’s structure. In this way, the implant acts as an artificial tooth root that supports a crown, bridge or denture.
- Dental implants preserve the jaw’s shape: The jawbone wears away after tooth loss because the root is no longer available to anchor it in place. By acting similarly to a tooth’s root, the implant helps to prevent this erosion and the subsequent changes in the jaw’s contour.
- Dental implants can last for decades with proper care: When you follow the care instructions provided by your dentist, your dental implants should stay in place for many years, as long as they successfully osseointegrated to begin with. In contrast, dentures and dental bridges are likely to need to be replaced periodically.
- Dental implants preserve a large percentage of chewing function: The link between the bone and the implant allows the implant to tolerate stronger chewing forces. While a denture wearer may have some dietary restrictions due to the appliance’s limitations, that is much less likely with dental implants. Of course, patients do need to use common sense, as anything that could harm a natural tooth could harm an implant-supported restoration, too.
- Dental implants look and feel like natural teeth: Because of their structure, dental implants feel very similar to biological teeth, and the restorations are made of materials that closely replicate the appearance of natural tooth enamel.
This listing of the advantages of dental implants is far from comprehensive. To learn more about this intervention, contact Withers Dentistry at 940-293-2635.